HTML stands for Hyper Text markup Language. It was develop in early 1990s. It is a formatting language used to develop web pages. Hypertext means that HTML marks certain words in the documents as links to other parts of the same document or other document. When the user clicks on a link, browser stars displaying the document attached to that link.
HTML is not a programming language. It is used to define text, graphics, audio and video in web pages. It uses tags or markups to specify how the contents of web page will be displayed. HTML code and written in any text editor like Notepad.
HTML was develop a few years ago as a subset of SGNK. SGML stands for Structured Generalized Mark-up Language. It also describes formatting and hypertext links, and different components of a document. It is basically an application-oriented format. SGML is not ideal for transmission across the Internet to different types of computers and browser applications.
HTML is simpler than SGML. It was designed for use over the Internet in the form of Web pages. HTML is more suited for this purpose. It is used to design and create pages for different types of users of the Web.
Tags and Attributes
HTML commands are known as tags. The HTML tags surrounded by the two characters <and>. These characters are called angle brackets. HTML tags normally come in pairs like <head> and </head>. The first tag in a pair in a pair is called the start tag and the second tag is called the end tag.
An Element is a command that tell a browser to do browser to do something such as <H1>. It is a fundamental component of an HTML document. Different tags indicate different elements i.e. HEAD, TABLE etc. The text between the start and end tags is called B. HTML tags not case sensitive. It means that <head> is same as <HEAD>.
Some element may also include some attributes. An attribute is the additional information about the element that is included inside the start tag. Some attributes are compulsory and some are optional.
Benefits of HTML
Some advantages of HTML are as follows:
- Simplicity: HTML is a simple but powerful language. Any person can use the HTML easily to create web pages.
- Platform Independent: HTML is platform independed. It works on any platform. It means that HTML documents created for one type of computer system can be used on different types of computer systems.
- Easy Navigation: HTML web pages are liked to gather using hyperlinks. It provides easy navigation between different documents.
- Attractive and Easier to Read: HTML allows the use of graphics and animation. It delivers richer content and content and arranges the content creatively.
Limitation of HTML:
Some limitations of HTML are as follows:
- No Programming Capabilities: HTML provides no programming capabilities. It only provides formatted text, picture and sounds etc.
- Static: HTML can only be used to create static web pages.
- Fixed Tag Set: HTML does not provide the facility to create customized tags. It only provides a predefined set of tags. It is not possibile to extend HTML.
- Not Reusable: HTML code is used for specific pages and cannot be reused. The user cannot display the same HTML document in a different manner without creating different documents each time.